This is the first post in a series on coconuts. The coconut is such an amazing fruit it’s impossible to cover everything in one post! So, over the next few weeks we will discuss the many benefits and uses of this humble fruit.
The Tree of Life
The coconut is referred to as the ‘Tree of Life’ by Pacific Islanders – and for good reason. From providing food and water to having medicinal and beauty uses, the coconut can do it all.
What does a coconut provide?
- Coconut ‘meat’ – the flesh inside the coconut.
- Coconut water or juice – the liquid inside the coconut
- Coconut cream – made from pressing the coconut milk
- Coconut milk – made from the juice of coconut meat and water
- Coconut oil – the fatty oil that comes from the coconut meat
The coconut is classified as a ‘functional food’ because of the many health benefits it provides in addition to its nutritional content.
Follow the series to find out the many benefits and uses of the coconut!